There will be a new UFC interim heavyweight champion after Saturday. Derrick Lewis and undefeated Ciryl Gane are facing off the title at UFC 265 from the Toyota Center in Houston.
The two are also fighting for the opportunity to face champion Francis Ngannou after Ngannou was unable to defend his title at the event.
Lewis is the No. 2-ranked heavyweight and holds a victory over Ngannou. He’s undefeated in his last four outings, including victories over Curtis Blaydes and Aleksei Oleinik. He had a shot at the heavyweight title in 2018 but came up short when he was submitted by Daniel Cormier.
The No. 3-ranked Gane heads into the showdown having not lost a fight in MMA or Muay Thai. After going 13-0 in Muay Thai, the Frenchman made his MMA debut in 2018 and won three fights in a row by knockout or submission before getting the call to join the UFC in 2019. He has been unstoppable since, with a 6-0 record in the UFC that includes victories over Junior dos Santos, Jairzinho Rozenstruik and Alexander Volkov.
It will be a home game for Lewis as “The Black Beast” fights out of Houston. He may need the home-court advantage against an opponent who has yet to taste defeat in his professional career.
Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane updates, highlights from UFC 265
7:05 p.m.: And we’re live! After an absolutely stellar fight to close out the prelims between Bobby Green and Rafael Fiziev, it’s time to see if the main card can keep up the quality. We’re kicking it off with a bantamweight fight between Song Yadong and Casey Kenney.
Lewis vs. Gane start time
- Date: Saturday, Aug. 7
- Start time: 6 p.m. ET | 3 p.m. PT
- Main card (PPV): 10 p.m. ET | 7 p.m. PT
- Main event: 12:15 a.m. ET | 9:15 p.m. PT (approximate)
UFC 265: Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane will take place Saturday, Aug. 7. The early prelims kicked off the event at 6 p.m. ET while the pay-per-view main card begins at 10 p.m. ET. Lewis and Gane should enter the Octagon around 12:15 a.m. ET, depending on the length of the undercard bouts.
How to watch UFC 265: Lewis vs. Gane
- TV channels/live stream: ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+
The main card for UFC 265 is available in the U.S. on the ESPN+ subscription streaming service for a pay-per-view cost. That portion of the event begins at 10 p.m. ET.
Earlier fights are viewable live on ESPN, the WatchESPN app and, for the early prelims, UFC Fight Pass.
In Canada, the main-card pay-per-view is available on Bell, Rogers, Shaw, SaskTel, Videotron, Telus, Eastlink and UFC PPV on UFC Fight Pass.
UFC 265 fight card
- Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane for the interim UFC heavyweight championship
- Jose Aldo vs. Pedro Munhoz; bantamweights
- Michael Chiesa vs. Vicente Luque; welterweights
- Tecia Torres vs. Angela Hill; women’s strawweights
- Song Yadong vs. Casey Kenney; bantamweights
- Rafael Fiziev def. Bobby Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 & 29-28)
- Vince Morales def. Drako Rodriguez via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 & 29-28)
- Alonzo Menifield def. Ed Herman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27 & 30-27)
- Jessica Penne def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz via 1st round submission (armbar) (4:32)
Fight Pass prelims
- Manel Kape def. Ode’ Osbourne via 1st round KO (flying knee & punches) (4:44)
- Miles Johns def. Anderson dos Santos via 3rd round KO (punch) (1:16)
- Melissa Gatto def. Victoria Leonardo via 2nd round TKO (doctor stoppage) (5:00)
- Johnny Munoz Jr. def. Jamey Simmons via 2nd round submission (rear-naked choke) (2:35)