Kamaru Usman will be aiming for a third successive defense of his welterweight title when he fights former teammate Gilbert Burns in the main event of UFC 258 on Saturday night at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
The card is the UFC’s second pay-per-view event of 2021, following Dustin Poirier’s stunning knockout of Conor McGregor at UFC 257 on Jan. 23.
Usman was set to face the No. 2-ranked Burns last July at UFC 251, but the Brazilian was pulled 10 days before the fight after contracting COVID-19. Usman’s rival Jorge Masvidal stepped in on short notice but was dominated by the Nigerian champion.
The former teammates at American Top Team both carry significant momentum into the fight.
Usman is riding a 16-fight winning streak and has yet to lose during his tenure in the UFC since winning “The Ultimate Fighter” in 2015. Burns has been on a roll since returning to the welterweight division in 2019. He has won four straight in dominant fashion, with victories over Tyron Woodley, Demian Maia, Gunnar Nelson and Alexey Kunchenko. But Usman is, by far, his stiffest test to date.
Usman and Burns are familiar with each other as training partners, but nothing can simulate the feel of an actual fight with high stakes.
Will Usman extend his winning streak and begin chipping away at Georges St-Pierre’s status of being the greatest welterweight of all time? Or will Burns hand Usman his first loss and begin a new era in the 170-pound division?
Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns live updates, highlights from UFC 258
Sporting News will begin live coverage of UFC 258 at 8 p.m. ET.
UFC 258 start time
- Early prelims: 6:30 p.m. ET
- Prelims: 8 p.m. ET
- Main card: 10 p.m. ET
- Live stream: ESPN+
Usman vs. Burns will be the last of 11 fights at UFC 258. The main card — which includes four fights before the main event — is expected to start at 10 p.m. Usman and Burns likely won’t get to start their title bout until midnight ET or later.
How to watch Usman vs. Burns on PPV
- PPV price (current subscribers): $69.99
- PPV price (new subscribers with ESPN+ bundle): $89.98
The early prelims and preliminaries for UFC 258 are free to watch on ESPN+ for those who are already subscribed to the streaming service. The pay-per-view portion (i.e., the main card) can be purchased for $69.99.
New subscribers can pay a bundle price of $89.98, which includes the fight and an annual subscription to ESPN+.
UFC 258 fight card
- Kamaru Usman (c) vs. Gilbert Burns for Usman’s welterweight title
- Maycee Barber vs. Alexa Grasso; women’s flyweights
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Ian Heinisch; middleweights
- Maki Pitolo vs. Julian Marquez; middleweights
- Ricky Simon vs. Brian Kelleher; featherweights
- Rodolfo Viera vs. Anthony Hernandez; middleweights
- Belal Muhammad vs. Dhiego Lima; welterweights
- Polyana Viana vs. Mallory Martin; women’s strawweights
- Andre Ewell vs. Chris Gutierrez; catchweight (140 pounds)
- Gabriel Green vs. Philip Rowe; welterweights
- Gillian Robertson vs. Miranda Maverick; women’s flyweights