After 17 years and more than 63,000 passing yards, Philip Rivers is calling it a career.
Rivers, who started at quarterback for the Colts in 2020 after 16 seasons with the Chargers, announced his retirement on Wednesday to Kevin Acee of The San Diego Tribune. Rivers ends his NFL run at No. 5 on both the all-time passing yards and all-time passing touchdowns lists and can expect a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
But it was never just about statistics when Rivers took the field. His GIF-worthy antics and G-rated trash talk made him one of the most entertaining sports figures of the past two decades. The man would yell out a “dadgummit” just as quickly as he would hit a tight end down the seam. Just terrific.
Now that Rivers has made it official, the only way to properly celebrate his career is by watching arguably the best mic’d up player in NFL history do his thing.
A few favorites …
- “Hey, Greg! You can only play with 11, Greg!”
- “We set you up with that one. … It’s fun when that stuff works.”
- “Rocket salami!”
- “You must have thought it to throw it! What makes you change your mind? I don’t get it!”
- “Hey Ron! Ron! Ron! Third down?”
- “That’s terrible, Ron! You know it!”
- “You weren’t even close to making that play. You got a hand on it.”
- “Aggravates the stew out of me.”
Best of luck in all your future endeavors, dadgummit.